BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Uni Trip to Berlin and Potsdam

Friday morning I got up early and waited outside Pestheim in the rain with a group of friends.  The bus came at 7:30, we secured seats in the back and passed out.  The bus ride to Berlin took about six hours with two rest stops.  We were pretty wiped out when we got there, so we put our stuff down and took a nap.  Afterward we took the U-Bahn to the city center and explored a bit.  We saw the Brandenburger Tor which is where we met our tour guide and the rest of our group.  After getting some information about the Brandenburger Tor, we walked over to the Reichstag and had a tour.  It was really very cool!

I was getting sick (again, I have been to the doctor three times now and am most likely going to have to go again) so I chose not to go out, and instead read some in my book and went to bed.  The others had a few beers.

The next morning we met our tour guide again and took a three hour tour of the city (a three hour tour....) from the bus.  We didn't get to get off, but we saw all the cool sites and got some information about them.  I absorbed some of it, though, but not all, because it was all in German (also the tour at the Reichstag) and there was so much of it.

After our tour we visited the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniss Kirche, got a Döner, bought some Berliner Weissbiers and went to the Victoria Garden.  It was horrible weather, but the garden was beautiful anyway.  There was a really wonderful view from below a waterfall.

After the park, Matt went to hear the Berlin Philharmonic and Deidre, Colleen and I went back to the church for a service during which one of the Bach Cantatas was played (the reason we went).  It was beautiful.

That night, the group went to the bar and club and I went home to sleep.  In the morning we took the bus to Potsdam to see Sanssouci (castle).  It was beautiful.  Then we walked around the city center, had Thai food for lunch, got on the bus and slept for the five hours home.

All in all, it was a neat trip, and very inexpensive!  I spent less than 150 Euro for the entire trip.  It was short, but a good opportunity to see the big sites.  I wish we had been able to spend more time at the various historical spots, but I'm sure I will be able to go back one day.  In all, glad I took the trip, but happy to be home.

Next up: Leipzig on Friday for the weekend!
Next next up: Rome in 8 days!
Next next next up: Mom and Lair visiting on the 24th!

No comments:

Post a Comment